Friday, June 3, 2011

Surfers beware of shark’s favorite tunes!

A cage diving operator in southern Australia has found that great white sharks like to rock out to AC/DC; this is a true story, not a joke. Matt Waller began playing music through underwater speakers to see if they could attract sharks based off the frequency of the music, as opposed to chum being thrown in the water to attract sharks. He found that great whites did respond to the high-decibel, low-frequency music of Australia’s classic rock band, AC/DC. The true irony of the story, according to Waller, is the sharks favorite songs seem to be “If You Want Blood” and “You Shook Me All Night Long”.

Waller said he got the idea to play music through underwater speakers after learning that Pacific Islanders used to rub coconuts together underwater to attract sharks (No word as to what type of swallow helped carry the coconuts to the islanders). He said the experience leads to a less aggressive shark showing up while a more violent and aggressive shark is signaled through chummed waters.

Here’s a fun list of songs that are too good to pass up for sharks and ocean goers:
Bad reputation, Freddie Johnson
Ain’t Nobody (does it better), Chaka Khan
Wanted dead or alive, Bon Jovi
Baby got back, Sir Mix A Lot
Another one bites the dust, Queen
Hello it’s me, Todd Rungren
Gentle on my mind, Glenn Campbell
Dirty water, The Standells
Good vibrations, Beach Boys
Up in here, Ludicris
Turn you inside out, REM
Dance with me, Justin Timberlake
Brain stew, Green Day
Pour some sugar on me, Def Leppard
Give me a reason to stay here, Tracy Chapman
Should I stay or should I go, The Clash
It had to be you, Harry Connick Jr.
Hello, Lionel Richie
One on one, Hall and Oates
Rub you the right way, Johnny Gill
Time has come today, Chamber Brothers
Get back, Ludicris
Fast as you, Dwight Yoakam
Alive and kicking, Simple Minds
If I die young, The Band Perry
Waiting for a girl like you, Foreigner
I’m alive, Kenny Chesney with Dave Matthews
Everybody wants you, Billy Squirer
Escape (the pina colda song), Rupert Holmes
U got the look, Prince
What I like about you, The Romantics
I ain’t got you, Jimmy Reed
California girls, Beach Boys
Drop dead legs, Van Halen
Tenderness, General Public
You make my dreams, Hall and Oates
Stop dragging my heart around, Stevie Nicks and Tom Petty
Somebody’s cryin, Chris Issack
Pound cake, Van Halen
Mama said knock you out, LL Cool J
Lose control, Missy Elliot
Bad to the bone, George Therogood
Let’s go crazy, Prince
I gotcha, Joe Tex
Maneater, Hall and Oates


What would you like to clarify? Send me an email or post your comments.

Show us your avatar! Don't forget to sign up for email notifications and as a reader/follower.

No comments:

Post a Comment